Rookie Bulldogs winger Reimis Smith is poised to follow in the footsteps of his father Tyran after being named in an expanded New Zealand squad ahead of the October 13 Test against Australia and end-of-season tour to Great Britain.
Smith, who scored nine tries in 12 games for Canterbury after being promoted by Dean Pay in round 15, was among 36 players chosen by Kiwis coach Michael Maguire and selectors Mark Horo, Hugh McGahan and Tawera Nikau.
His father Tyran played 10 Tests for the Kiwis between 1996 and 2000, also represented Aotearoa Maori at the 2000 World Cup in England.
The squad contained a mixture of experience and youth, with 19-year-old Warriors second-rower Isiah Papali'i, Storm utility Jahrome Hughes and hooker Brandon Smith among the other uncapped players.
Notable selections include the return of Warriors stars Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tohu Harris and Adam Blair, who missed June's Denver Test due to personal issues, injury or suspension.
Top 5 Plays of the Week – Round 25
Melbourne prop Jesse Bromwich and Gold Coast second-rower Kevin Proctor have also been named in the wider Kiwis squad after being stood down from last year's World Cup over their involvement in an illegal drugs scandal after the 2017 ANZAC Test in Canberra.
Of the 19 players who travelled to Denver for the historic Test against England at Mile High Stadium, Newcastle hooker Slade Griffin is the only absentee after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the round 16 match against the Bulldogs.
The squad will be reduced after the NRL grand final on September 30.
- Brisbane Broncos: Jamayne Isaako, Jordan Kahu, Kodi Nikorima
- Canberra Raiders: Jordan Rapana, Joseph Tapine
- Canterbury Bulldogs: Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reimis Smith
- Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks: Sosaia Feki
- Gold Coast Titans: Kevin Proctor
- Manly Sea Eagles: Martin Taupau
- Melbourne Storm: Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Jesse Bromwich, Kenneath Bromwich, Jahrome Hughes, Brandon Smith
- Newcastle Knights: Herman Ese'ese, Danny Levi
- North Queensland Cowboys: Te Maire Martin
- Penrith Panthers: James Fisher-Harris, Corey Harawira-Naera, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Dean Whare
- St George Illawarra Dragons: Leeson Ah Mau
- Sydney Roosters: Isaac Liu, Joseph Manu, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
- New Zealand Warriors: Gerard Beale, Adam Blair, Tohu Harris, Peta Hiku, Shaun Johnson, Issac Luke, Ken Maumalo, Isaiah Papali'i, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck