You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Canterbury Cup NSW Rd 6 - scores, highlights, reports

Round 6 has seen plenty of action in the Canterbury Cup NSW with Mounties overcoming a player being sent off for a shoulder charge to maintain their position on top of the table.

North Sydney Bears v Newcastle Knights

HIGHLIGHTS | North Sydney v Newcastle – Round 6

By Andrew Jackson 

The North Sydney Bears have stood up without regular five-eighth Lachlan Lam to down the Newcastle Knights 22-10 on Good Friday.

Drew Hutchinson and Brock Lamb’s first-grade experience showed, with the pair having a hand in all of the home side’s tries.

The Knights, on the other hand, were dealt an early blow when five-eighth Hayden Loughrey was forced off the field in his first game back in the Canterbury Cup NSW.

It was North Sydney’s defence that proved the difference, with the Bears repelling several attacking raids on their own line in the second half to emerge victorious.

Unable to build on last week’s two-point win over Blacktown, Newcastle fullback Jacob Gagai said last-tackle options are holding them back from building on success.

“Were trying hard, were fighting hard, it’s just little silly things like last tackle plays and penalties on last plays that let them into the game,” Gagai said.

“If we can shut that out we’ll be sweet.”

Gagai conceded losing Loughrey to injury early in the game also hurt their chances.

“It was pretty hard (losing Loughrey), obviously he was our half and we had four middles on the bench which made it hard but there’s no excuses, we just need to execute better,” Gagai said.

The Bears were given their first opportunity at Newcastle’s line when John Tuivaiti surged towards the 20 and picked up a penalty and they were quick to capitalise.

A tip-on put Fletcher Baker in space as the second rower drew and pass to put Ed Murphy over in the corner for the first of the afternoon.

Newcastle eventually hit back when a late offload from Sam Stone created numbers on the right edge and quick hands from Tautau Moga sent Heath Gibbs flying over in the corner.

After Loughrey hobbled off, the Bears quickly regained ascendancy when Bernard Lewis soared over minutes later.

Momentum swung back in Newcastle’s favour when Jacob Gagai broke down the left edge and Bears hooker Bradley Deitz was sin-binned after holding down the Knights fullback too long.

North Sydney were punished for the error after Matt Croker pounced on a deft grubber right before half time to lock things up.

Lewis sliced over for his second try of the game to break the deadlock before a late try to Hutchinson sealed the win as the Bears bounced back from last week’s heartbreaking 32-30 defeat to the Jets.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v South Sydney Rabbitohs

HIGHLIGHTS | Canterbury-Bankstown v South Sydney Rabbitohs – Round 6

South Sydney Rabbitohs captain Billy Brittain and five-eighth Connor Tracey have orchestrated another attacking masterclass to help their side record a dominant 36-6 victory over the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday. 

It was the biggest win for the foundation club so far in 2019 as Brittain recorded a handy try-assist along with 43 tackles while Tracey starred with a try, two line-breaks and 181 running metres. 

It was yet another disappointing performance from the reigning premiers despite their rather impressive start to the contest, but were unable to withstand the Rabbitohs' relentless attacking raids.

They were without Raymond Faitala-Mariner for a majority of the contest after he left the field with a knee injury early in the contest. His absence clearly tarnished the confidence of the Bulldogs although back-rower Bronson Garlick took it upon himself to inpire his side. 

The crafty back-rower showed his class with a deft kicking game early in the first-half and caused havoc for the Rabbitohs defence with some powerful carries. 

But it was 2018 Five-Eighth of the Year Connor Tracey who would get his side off to a flying start with his lightning-fast speed helping him slice through on a short-side raid. 

They were brimming with confidence throughout a majority of the opening 40 minutes as tries to fullback Leigh Higgins and Keaon Koloamatangi helped set a 20-0 lead at half-time. 

Former Panther Christian Crichton opened the second half with the Bulldogs first try of the game – giving them a glimmer of hope in their search of a comeback victory. 

Their increased energy and enthusiasm would prove to have little bearing on the result, however, as Brittain took control late in the second-half to help Mawene Hiroti and Lyndon Hills get over the try-line, before another Tracey line-break gifted Jacob Gagan with the last four-pointer of the game. 

The Bulldogs will have an opportunity redeem themselves in a rematch of their round one defeat against the Warriors next week, but with key playmakers of that game Meaney, Okunbor, Cogger and Martin at a high chance of being selected in the first-grade squad, they will have to find strength in their existing roster to get the two points.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

HIGHLIGHTS | St George Illawarra v Blacktown Workers – Round 6

The St George Illawarra Dagons have well and truly stamped their mark on the competition with a commanding 44-6 victory over Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium on Saturday. 

The Dragons were relentless from start to finish with a formidable attacking masterclass and gallant defensive performance helping them record their third consecutive victory. 

Jonus Pearson impressed with two tries while live-wire fullback Tristian Sailor and Reece Robson also starred with four-pointers of their own. 

The Blacktown Workers have been unable to take confidence from their big win over South Sydney in Round 4 with back-to-back losses, and will now take on the ladder leaders, Mounties, next Sunday.

it was the Dragons who were first to trouble the scorers with Charly Runciman barging over the line courtesy off some beautiful service from five-eighth Jai Field.

Halves partner Adam Clune followed suit shortly after with a nicely-timed pass to send Tristan Sailor over the stripe, giving his side a 12-0 lead early in the contest

Blacktown would return serve, however, with a classy backline movement to help Alfred Smalley over the line – narrowing the Dragons’ lead to just six. 

Eddie Blacker showcased his twister skills close to the line, barging over to score the Dragons third of the evening, before Former Brisbane Bronco Lachlan Maranta crossed out wide to give his side a comfortable 24-6 lead at half-time. 

The Red V continued their first-half dominance immediately after the break scoring two four-pointers courtesy of winger Jonus Pearson and Reece Robson as they raced to a 34-6 lead heading into the final half hour.

Both sides created plenty of opportunities but couldn't capitalise before an error-riddled final stanza came to an end when Pearson crossed out wide for his second of the evening.

A try to Steve Marsters on the bell rounded out the scoring, with the Dragons running out 44-6 winners.

Newtown Jets v Penrith Panthers

HIGHLIGHTS | Newtown Jets v Penrith Panthers - Round 6

By Andre Cupido

The Penrith Panthers have bounced back from a fortnight of disappointing results to record a heart stopping 18-16 victory over Newtown Jets at Henson Park on Sunday. 

Performing well below their standards in recent weeks, the Panthers showed rare glimpses of the side that recorded back-to-back losses with a controlled performance from start to finish. 

Although impressing for a majority of the contest, however, a late surge from the Jets set up a grandstand finish following rapid-fire tries to Braydon Trindall and Ronaldo Mulitalo in the final 10 minutes.

Despite their efforts being to no avail, they will take plenty of confidence from their fighting finish in the dying stages. 

Late inclusion Dylan Edwards starred as he caused plenty of havoc for the Jets defence, while Caleb Aekins made a seamless transition from fullback to five-eighth with an impressive showing. 

The opening exchanges proved steady as both teams worked their way into the contest although the Panthers dominated field-position but were unable to capitalise. 

A prime opportunity loomed when Dylan Edwards made a break through the middle-third but it lasted little time as the scrambling Jets defence prevailed. 

The Panthers would eventually break the deadlock, however, when Jarome Luai skipped across field before finding a charging Brian Too to crash over in teh right-hand corner. 

Edwards nailed the sideline conversion to take a 6-0 lead after 22 minutes. 

The Jets had limited to chances to bounce back but they looked to have found their groove when  Siosifa Talakai stormed onto a Luke Poselli short-ball, but Lumelume was unable to finish as an Edwards try-saver sent him into touch.  

They would be made to rue the missed opportunity just moments later when Caleb Aekins stormed onto a Luai inside pass for the Panthers second try in the 32nd minute.

Momentum shifted early in the second-half when Lumelume pounced on a deft Kyle Flanagan grubber for the Jets' opening points, but it would be only a matter of time before the Panthers hit-back when Nick Tui Loso barged his way over from close-range. 

Edwards converted from in-front to take a rather unassailable 18-4 lead with just 15 minutes remaining. 

A bust against the run of play from Lumelume gave the Jets a golden chance for a quick reprieve, and they took full advantage when Trindall sliced through just a few tackles later. 

Flanagan nailed the sideline conversion to reduce the deficit to just eight with just 10 minutes remaining, and they looked to have grabbed another shortly after only for Tyla Tamou to fumble the ball with the try-line in sight.  

Pressure mounted as repeated sets on the Panthers goal-line threatened for a thrilling finish, and although Multitalo crossed with just seconds remaining it would prove to only be a consolation try. 

Mounties v Warriors

By Michael Caruana

The Mounties have come from behind to defeat the Warriors 28-22 at GIO Stadium on Sunday afternoon despite playing with a man short for majority of the game.

A dominant second half performance was enough for the Mounties to score 24 unanswered points and overcome Corey Horsburgh’s sending off to win their fifth consecutive game of the season.

The Mounties thought they were first on the board ten minutes in when Aiden Sezer busted through the Warriors defence, only for the try to be disallowed due to an obstruction.

The Warriors were able to capitalise three minutes later, going straight up the other end and scoring in the corner thanks to winger Setu Tu.

The Warriors added to their lead just two minutes later, with hooker Lawton breaking through and getting a pass off to forward Ligi Sao to cross over next to the post.

The Mounties went a man down half way through the first half after Corey Horsburgh was penalised for a shoulder charge and sent off as a result.

Five minutes later Mounties winger Andre Niko crossed in the corner and restored hope for the home side, however was unable to convert his own try.

The Warriors added to their lead after a grubber kick was misfielded from Bailey Simonsson and grounded by Adam Tuimavave-Gerrard, heading into the sheds with a twelve-point lead.

The Warriors continued their form into the second half early on, scoring within the first minute thanks to a breakaway try from centre Taane Milne.

Six minutes later Mounties prop Royce Hunt muscled his way through plenty of Warriors defenders to score under the posts and reduce the margin.

Two minutes later, five-eighth Ata Hingano got a pass off to Reuben Porter who powered his way through five defenders to plant the ball under the posts as well, exactly like Hunt in the previous set.

The Mounties levelled the scores with twenty minutes remaining after a quick play saw Jarrett Boland cross over in the corner with ease.

Five minutes later the Mounties took the lead for the first time in the match after Niko crossed to score his second of the night, converting it as well to ensure the Mounties a six-point victory.

Wentworthville Magpies v Western Suburbs Magpies

The Wentworthville Magpies have made history by recording the first-ever win at Bankwest Stadium with a 20-14 victory over Western Suburbs Magpies on Monday. 

The clash was billed as the perfect curtain-raiser for the blockbuster Easter Monday clash between the Eels and Tigers – made all the more special as being the first ever Rugby League game at the new world-class facility. 

Livewire fullback Bevan French reigned supreme with two first-half tries before delivering a bullet left-to-right pass for Greg Leleisiuao in the 60th minute for the match-winning try. 

The opening try loomed for Wests hooker Jacob Liddle when he found open space through the middle but the speed of French prevailed when he forced him over the sideline. 

It was French who then made the historic breakthrough with the first ever try at Bankwest as he supported a Rhyse Davies break following a series of offloads in just the seventh minute.

Wests would earn a quick reprieve, however, when Kane Bradley crossed in the left-hand corner following a slick short-side raid just five minutes after conceding their first. 

They would extend their lead when Robbie Rochow sent Paul Momirovski over for back-to-back tries, but their lead would be short-lived as some French magic in the 29th minute restored Wentworthville's lead. 

French latched onto a towering bomb with a leap over no.1 counterpart Dylan Smith for his second of the contest, with Brad Keighran converting from in-front to take a 14-8 lead.

Wentworthville proved defiant with their defence in the opening stages of the second-half but Wests persistence was rewarded when Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu powered his way over from close-range in the 48th minute. 

But as Wentworthville threatened to snatch back the lead it was French who again emerged as the game breaker with a bullet pass to Lelesiuao sending him over in the right-hand corner with just 20 minutes remaining. 

Handling errors from Wentworthville cruelled their chance of earning valuable field position in the late stages but their scrambling defence proved the difference when they forced Bradley into touch with as the full-time siren neared.