Paws to Consider Adopting a Greyhound
Greyhounds are great athletes - they're sleek, agile and fast. Oh so fast. But racing careers don’t last forever.
That's when a program like Greyhounds As Pets steps in. We find homes for retired racers and those greyhounds that never make it to the track. The Greyhounds As Pets staff pride themselves on matching the right greyhound to a new owner based on their individual circumstances and requirements.
Are you looking to add to your family?
It often surprises people to find out what great pets greyhounds make.
In fact, there are plenty of misconceptions about the breed. Here are a couple things you may not know about greyhounds:
- They are 70 km/h couch potatoes - Most greyhounds love nothing more than to lounge around and sleep all day - and when we say all day, we mean all day. Greyhounds generally sleep between 16-20 hours a day. Despite being ex-athletes, greyhounds surprisingly require minimal exercise throughout the day. One or two 20 minute walks a day is all they need
- They rarely bark - Unlike smaller lap dogs, greyhounds are generally quite quiet and shouldn’t drive your neighbours crazy.
- They don't shed a lot and require minimal grooming - Greyhounds are very low maintenance. They have short coats with very little oil in their skin, which means they have minimal shedding and don’t have the trademark ‘dog smell’.
- They have a gentle temperament - Retired greyhounds are often gentle and highly affectionate dogs. All of the greyhounds who come through Greyhounds As Pets are behaviourally tested with small dogs, so you can be sure that they get along well with other dogs - big and small. Some greyhounds are even cat friendly.
If you decide to adopt a greyhound through Greyhounds As Pets, you will get a greyhound that has been
- Behaviourally assessed;
- Vet Checked, vaccinated, fully wormed and de-sexed;
- Microchipped and life-time registered on the Companion Animals Register
You will also get ongoing support and information from our staff who all have extensive experience in working with greyhounds, both behaviourally and medically.
During the 2017 NRL season, any Bulldogs Members or Fans who adopt a greyhound through Greyhounds As Pets will be rewarded with a FREE Bulldogs Pet Membership for your new best friend as well as a $50 merchandise voucher.
To see the greyhounds currently available for adoption and learn more about the adoption process, go to www.gapnsw.com.au