You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The NSW Cup side have this afternoon been defeated by the Warriors 18-12 at Eden Park, Auckland.

After registering the first points the Bulldogs couldn’t hold on for the win with a 68th minute try proving to be the match winner.

The side was boosted with Moses Mbye coming back into the starting side and the five-eighth didn’t take long to stamp his authority on the match. After a number of penalties to start the match the Bulldogs marched their way down field and it was Mbye who shifted the ball left for Krisnan Inu to crash over. The centre couldn’t convert his own try and left the Bulldogs in front 4-nil after nine minutes of play.

The tide changed and it was the Warriors who went over next through back rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner. With the Bulldogs camped on their own line the Warriors drove it up through the middle and a shift to the right saw a gap open for Faitala-Mariner who reached out to score. Chad Townsend converted for the Warriors to put them in front 6-4 after 20 minutes.

A smart grubber kick from winger Drury Low in the 35th minute put the Bulldogs back in front when Tyrone Phillips won the race to the ball to score. With a backline movement to the right, it was Low who drew in two defenders and when he grubbered through there was plenty of room for Phillips to score. Jaline Graham took over the kicking duties but he couldn’t convert from the sidelines with the score now 8-6 in favour of the Bulldogs.

With just a minute remaining before the half-time break the Warriors crossed for their second try of the afternoon through Steve Waetford. The fullback was trailing lock forward Feleti Mateo and once hitting the defence he was then able to flick the ball out the back to Waetford who cruised over to score. The try was converted and the Warriors went to the break leading 12-8.

The second half saw the Bulldogs come out barking with Graham weaving and stepping his way through the Warriors defence to score next to the uprights just four minutes into the half. Inu easily converted to put the Bulldogs back in front 14-12.

In a match riddled with errors neither side could get control of the game and the next period of play saw no points scored.

It was the Warriors though who got back in front when halfback Tuimoala Lolohea went over to score. The try was converted by Townsend putting the home side in front by a converted try, 18-14 after 68 minutes.

That is how the score remained after a few final chances to the Bulldogs were unfortunately unsuccessful.

Warriors 18 (Waetford, Lolohea, Faitala-Mariner tries: Townsend 3/3)


Dogs 14 (Inu, Phillips, Graham tries: Inu 1/2, Graham 0/1)

At: Eden Park, Auckland


Acknowledgement of Country

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs respect and honour the Darug and Eora nations, who are the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.