The Rugby League Players Association has launched a new online auction in support of the NRL's Bushfire appeal with some of rugby league's biggest stars donating items to assist those affected by the devastating crisis.
Parramatta skipper Clint Gutherson, RLPA board member Daly Cherry-Evans and premiership-winning South Sydney prop Thomas Burgess are among the names to donate items to the initiative.
Burgess will part ways with a player's edition signed premiership-winning Rabbitohs jersey he was given in 2014 when the club broke their famous 43-year wait to secure a 21st title.
RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast thanked the players for their response and support in wanting to help out in a time of need.
"There are some outstanding items live on the site which have been generously donated by players, so I encourage people to dig deep as all proceeds will go towards this incredibly important cause," Prendergast said.
"We will continue to work with the game's key stakeholders on a range of initiatives that will aim to provide meaningful support to the areas affected.
"I would also like to commend clubs and players who have, or are currently, auctioning items through their own platforms – it's fantastic that our game has been proactive about donating their items in response to this crisis."
Other items listed on the site come with a certificate of authenticity and include:
- 2019 Parramatta Eels signed team jersey – donated by Clint Gutherson
- 2019 State of Origin Game II match-worn jersey – donated by Daly Cherry-Evans
- 2019 North Queensland Cowboys match-worn signed jersey used in the final Cowboys home game – donated by Jordan Kahu
- 2019 signed State of Origin pack – donated by Corey Oates
- 2019 NSW team signed jersey
- 2019 Harvey Norman Women's NSW team signed jersey
- 2019 match-worn Newcastle Knights jersey, 2020 squad signed – donated by Mitchell Barnett
- 2019 Anzac round signed match-worn jersey – donated by Josh Jackson
- 2019 Indigenous round signed match-worn jersey – donated by Will Hopoate
- 2019 signed Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs match-worn jersey – donated by Adam Elliott
- 2019 match-worn Newcastle Knights jersey, 2020 squad signed – donated by Lachlan Fitzgibbon
The live auction site can be viewed at officialmemorabilia.com.au.
Auctions will conclude on Wednesday, January 22, at 8pm AEDT.
The NRL announced last week the opening round of the 2020 Telstra Premiership will be dedicated to the Bushfire appeal.