Tonight at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the annual Special Olympics Australia Cup.
Special Olympics Australia is a national charity that provides weekly sports training and regular competition for athletes with an intellectual disability across multiple sports.
The Special Olympics Australia Cup is an annual NRL fixture. This year marks the fifth edition of the cup and the ledger is tied at 2-all.
To celebrate the event, Special Olympics Australia athletes will take to the field prior to the game for a torch run alongside NSW law enforcement officers. Each of these athletes has been selected to represent Australia at the Trans-Tasman Tournament against New Zealand later this year. They will either compete in swimming or athletics.
The athletes are:
- Jessica Van Der Neut, Macarthur (torchbearer)
- Emma Nelson, Macarthur
- Holly Levers , Macarthur
- Sara Kely, Sydney West
- Andrew Milne, Central Coast
- Dean Elliot, Sydney West
- Kevin Greig, Flinders
- Carlee Stackman, Hunter Valley
- James Lawrence, Sydney Upper North Shore
- Nathan Doggett, Macarthur
- Angela Fowler, Macarthur
- Katya Dorey, Sydney Hills
- Brooke McGrath, Macarthur
- Geoff Kirby, Hunter Valley
- Travis Becker, Macarthur
- Joshua Elston, Blue Mountains
- Jordan Brown , Hunter Valley
- Joseph Smith, Hunter Valley
The Special Olympics Australia dancers will also provide entertainment.
To find out more about Special Olympics Australia please visit www.specialolympics.com.au