You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The young pups have registered there eighth win of the season this afternoon with a 26-24 win over the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium.

It was a 78th minute try that put the blue and whites in the lead and they were able to hold on for the victory in the five tries to four encounter.

It was fullback Josh Bergamin who orchestrated the first try at both ends of the ground. He sensationally cleaned up a Rabbitohs grubber at his own end and then threw the final pass for Renouf To’omaga 100m down field, with the Junior Kiwi crossing to score. Brad Keighran converted from 15m right of the uprights to put the pups in front 6-nil after nine minutes.

Five minutes later the home side answered back through winger Devon Makoare-Boyce. It was a simple shift to the left and with an overlap, the winger cruised over untouched in the north-west corner. Fullback Jordie Hedges converted from out wide to level it up at 6-all.

After some sloppy play through the middle from both sides it was the Rabbitohs who got their game back on track and turned it into points in the 24th minute. It was edge back rower Haimona Hiroti who ran a great line and after receiving the ball, went into open space and over to score after fending away Bergamin in the last line of defence. Hedges again converted to put the home side out to a 12-6 lead.

With four minutes left before the half-time break it was a ‘Matt Gidley’ style flick pass from centre Michael Morgane that sent winger Jayden Okunbor over to score. It was a short slide play and Morgan poked his head through, drawing in the second defender and he was able to get the hand free and flick the ball out to his winger. Okunbor improved the position and Keighran had no problems converting, levelling things up at 12-all, which it remained through until the break.

Okunbor grabbed his second of the night to open the second half. It was a shift to the right and on this occasion and he used his brute strength to barge past two defenders to score. Keighran converted to break the deadlock, with the scoreboard reading 16-12 after 50 minutes.

The Rabbitohs crossed for the next two tries with the first being scored by Treyvon Leuluai and the second by Hiroti. Hedges converted both to put the Rabbitohs back in front 24-16.

Just two minutes later Marcelo Montoya crossed to close the gap and with a Keighran conversion, the Rabbitohs lead was just two, 24-22.

In the 78th minute the Bulldogs took the lead back with some outstanding rugby league being played. A To’omaga break had the Rabbitohs reeling and when the defence came to him, he managed to offload to Guy Hamilton who was eventually brought down. With a quick play the ball, Bergamin took advantage and crossed to score. Keighran couldn’t convert but the try was enough as the clock wound down, with the blue and whites registering a 26-24.

BULLDOGS 26 (To’omaga, Okunbor 2, Montoya, Bergamin Tries; Keighran 3 Goals)


RABBITOHS 24 (Makoare-Boyce, Hiroti 2, Leuluai Tries; Hedges 4 Goals)

At: ANZ Stadium