You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Bulldogs NYC side have suffered their third defeat in a row to start the season after the Sea-Eagles ran away late for a 34-16 victory.

It was six tries to three at the end of 80 minutes.

Coach Scott Murray was able to maintain the same 17 he named earlier in the week with a number of changes made from the loss to the Eels in Round 2.

A last tackle penalty gave the home side a great attacking opportunity in just the ninth minute of play. A few hit-ups through the middle compressed the defence and a simple spread to the right gave the Sea-Eagles an overlap and centre Jesse Ramien went over in the north-east corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful from Hugh Pratt with the score remaining 4-nil after 10 minutes.

The young pups were able to answer back with two tries in five minutes with the first coming through new recruit Harry Pondekas. A smart grubber was put through by halfback Guy Hamilton and Pondekas ran a smart angle to pick up the ball and score. Brad Keighran converted to put the Bulldogs in front 6-4 after 13 minutes.

The second try came in the 18th minute, also off a grubber. On this occasion it was Keighran who punched it through and lock forward Siaopo Tagaloa fell on to the ball to score. Keighran converted to extend the lead out to 12-4.

Two tries to the home side before the break gave them the lead as the siren sounded the scoreboard read 14-12.

Back from the break and the pressure continued to be applied to the young pups and once a break was made down the right, a try was only one play away. A couple of offloads added insult to injury with winger Lucas Price grabbing the try. Pratt converted with the score now 20-12 after 45 minutes of play.

The Bulldogs needed to be next to score and did so through winger Marcelo Montoya. A penalty sent the side down field and a shift to the left saw Marcelo Montoya go over in the north-west corner. Keighran couldn’t convert with the score now 20-16 after 56 minutes.

Two converted tries in six minutes gave the home side some clear air and with the added two points through a penalty goal, the match was all but over with 10 minutes to go. The lead had been extended out to 34-16 and the hope of a comeback was over.

The final minutes were played out in the middle of the field with a number of forward passes being thrown by both teams which put a hold to any enterprising play.

SEA-EAGLES 34 (Ramien, Cox, Pratt 2, Price 2 Tries; Pratt 5 Goals)


BULLDOGS 16 (Pondekas, Tagaloa, Montoya Tries; Keighran 2 Goals)